jkdbgdkj



28 January 2011

Paper Doll Challenge













































































Paper Doll Challenge

One of my readers Jasmin alerted me to a challenge being run by Elisabeth over at textilspanlien where you design and create your own paper doll with some outfits to wear. Im a little late for this one but couldnt resist anyway.

This challenge reminded me of when my sister and I were young we went through a phase (well several years really) where we would make our own paper dolls and outfits.

They started out quite basic and over time we honed the design to suit our needs such as giving more room in the crotch area when we wanted them to ride the paper horses we made them.

My sister and I would spend hours making and playing with these dolls. We saw the endless possibilities of creating what didn’t exist in real life.

I think in the end my Mum threw them out, having 5 children meant she had a low tolerance for mess.
My sister and I still talk about them and lament that they didn’t survive our childhood.

So when this challenge came up I decided to channel my inner child and recreate one of my childhood dolls. It was strange how quickly the construction techniques came back to me.

I hope you like “Lisa” (my favourite name at the time) she is a little more mature in the face but the body shape is pretty right.

 And now for the clothes……

The challenge is to encourage people who love to draw to draw. They are based on weekly themes and if you are interested in participating Elisabeth has posted the details here.

7 comments:

bobbi said...

Cute!! I couldn't make it in time, I'm up for next challenge hopefully. I really love to draw and I do it for work too, but I would like to have time to draw something just for the pleasure of it, like I did when I was a little girl.

Milady Productions said...

Nice! Its so fun to see these distinctive characters we've each created! I love the memory aspect too, how we all are remembering how much we loved to be creative little girls! We still are!

Lyndel said...

oh can't wait to see Lisa 's outfits

Ky said...

She's great! I wish I could draw. Not one of my skills unfortunately.

objectsofwhimsy said...

My friend couldnt draw either so we cut a drawing out from a sewing magazine (one that showed body measurements) and she just made the clothes and I just remembered that!

Tracey said...

got to love a paper doll!

objectsofwhimsy said...

I know except I think I may be getting carried away erm there is a scooter on the way......