jkdbgdkj



23 April 2012

Artist :: Kate MacDowell

Well such a wonderful response to the Drawing Challenge this week I really enjoyed hosting it and Im not sure who is on for hosting this weeks challenge so if it is you are it let me know and I will post the details here and send everyone over to your blog.

I thought we deserved a closer look at Kate MacDowell's sculpture that I used for Drawing Challenge inspiration post. Enjoy!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Artist Statement

 "In each case the union between man and nature is shown to be one of friction and discomfort with the disturbing implication that we too are vulnerable to being victimized by our destructive practices."


Artworks + Process

"I hand sculpt each piece out of porcelain, often building a solid form and then hollowing it out.  Smaller forms are built petal by petal, branch by branch and allow me the chance to get immersed in close study of the structure of a blossom or a bee.  I chose porcelain for its luminous and ghostly qualities as well as its strength and ability to show fine texture.  It highlights both the impermanence and fragility of natural forms in a dying ecosystem, while paradoxically, being a material that can last for thousands of years and is historically associated with high status and value.  I see each piece as a captured and preserved specimen, a painstaking record of endangered natural forms and a commentary on our own culpability."





Note: All images and words are the sole property of Kate MacDowell and have been referenced from the Artists Website. You may not claim these as your own nor lift from this site without crediting from the original source: www.katemacdowell.com/





3 comments:

Patrice A. said...

wonderful but also a bit weird art
....

Helen!
I am the host!!
I announce the theme tomorrow

love
Patrice A.

objectsofwhimsy said...

yay
cant wait Patrice.....her art I find does that...compelling and repulsing all at the same time. :)

Lise B said...

They are wonderful and morbid at the same time. Like life? Thank you for sharing her work with your readers!