jkdbgdkj



06 May 2012

Drawing Challenge: Underwater life/love

Microorganisms in Lake Eyre



Lake Eyre: The mysterious inland sea

The filling of Lake Eyre is one of Australia’s great natural spectacles. 
Fed by floodwaters that have travelled more than 1,000 kilometres from the channel country in Queensland, a vast inland sea emerges in the heart of Australia’s driest region.

Lake Eyre actually consists of two lakes, Lake Eyre North (8 430 km²) and Lake Eyre South (1 260 km²), connected by Goyder Channel which has a length of 15 km. It covers a 6th of the continent. It sits below sea level.

It can fill in a matter of days and takes years to dry out and its flood pattern is relatively unknown.
When the lake flood it brings with it an eruption of bird and mammal life. Thousands of birds of many species fly to the lake to breed. Pelicans and seagulls usually coastal birds will fly to the heart of arid desert country to breed there.

When European explorers first arrived in Australia they believed for many years that an inland sea existed and many perished trying to reach it.

This Lake epitomises the might of Australia as a continent and has the ability to bring a country of coastal hugging individuals to the centre of it vast land. It can humble and subdue a species (human beings) in such an awe inspiring and spectacular fashion. If we get too big for our boots it inevitably reminds us who is boss.

I have a desire to visit the Lake before it drains as I may not get another chance in my life time My artwork combines satellite images of the lake at its various stages of flood and drawings from my sketchbook that remind me of little alien microorganisms. I would like to think that they would be at home in Lake Eyres waters.

Helen :) 


The lovely Julia is our drawing challenge host this week. To check out other responses to her challenge make sure you pop over to her blog for details!

Credits:
Drawings sourced from Journals by Helen Bordeaux
Photograph sourced from NASA
2012


11 comments:

mano said...

what a great story about this natural wonder.
I love your combination of grey satellite pictures and the coloured little aliens. yes, I think you can find them in the water of lake eyre!

I hope one day you can see the birds spectacle and the blooming desert!
x mano

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

oh, i think your microorganisms are at home! what a fabulous story on a sea in the middle of a continent indeed. i wasn't aware of its existence, nor of its importance, both to nature and ourselves.
spirital!
n♥

Patrice A. said...

great story and yes
I think they will feel at home there
I haven't heard of Lake Eyre before
and I have been so close, once!
hmm....
maybe next time
there definitely will be a next time!

thank you for sharing
love x

P.S.
about my blurry images
no filter used
but my mobile phone
which takes pictures like that
;^))

Julia da Franca said...

dear helen, this is so lovely and mystic. thank you for taking us there! and let us know as soon as you make it there! xx julia

renilde said...

oh yes dear Helen this was interesting to read, a 6th of the continent!? and me too, never heard before of Lake Eyre. I can imagine this lake triggers the imagination, the work you made illustrate its magic, the 'microrganisms' in a 'giant'lake, yes it will be full of them, i like that image. Great post, x

Rachel said...

I just learned about Lake Eyre. I had no familiarity to it before. Thank you! I imagine it's a wonderful place at its peak with life and love gathering there.
I also like what you did combining your art with the nasa images. They feel very fluid with the feeling of being so close yet so far....very nice!

Leena said...

Thank you for the information about the lake Eyre, it is a wonderful lake. Your artworks are charming and a great idea to combine the photos,I love the colors, too

objectsofwhimsy said...

Its an amazing phenomenon and I really hope to get there which would involve a 3 day journey (Australia is vast) You drive through the most arid country and then this lake appears and its so big it looks like the sea and on certain days the salt crystals reflect the sky so sky and water become one. You can take plane flights to see it from above. They find marine fossils in the middle of Australia complete fish skeletons. It has been a source of inspiration for indigenous culture as well as Artists and Designers.
There is also an ever present element of danger to the place and if you treat it with disregard it can take your life from you.

Thanks for all the lovely comments
Its lovely getting visits to my blog as well as visiting yours and getting and giving feedback on what you do.
Particularly with like-minded people.

Well spotted Rachel! my intention to portray the element of experiencing water from the furtherest vantage of the satellite and the closest with microorganisms that live in droplets of water.

Have a wonderful week everyone.

Helen x

Carole said...

Hi Helen, I've never heard of Lake Eyre so I'll have to look it up and read up on it. We have a Lake Erie in Canada but it does not have such an interesting story!
Thank you.

Ritva said...

yes, an interesting story, thank you for sharing it!
your art work makes me think stained glass. a fine combination. micro and macro, makes it whole.

Stefanie Seltner said...

really that´s so interesting, I agree!
thank you, Helen!
I hope to meet you at the next drawing challenge, please have a look at my blog, x Stefanie