jkdbgdkj



05 May 2013

Drawing Challenge :: Burlesque








///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


Well the weekend is almost over and its late Sunday afternoon here in frosty grey Melbourne. I nearly didnt make this challenge I ummed and arrred and changed my mind a bizillion times before finding the right path that finally led to a concept I was happy with.

There was a lot of burlesque or should I say burlesk on the internet when I was doing my research none of it quite fit the brief....until Liza appeared.

Cabaret

I loved this movie I saw it the first time when I was 10!
My parents were  parents of the 70s where kids were involved in adult conversations and deemed able to appreciate art, literature film and politics.

This film funnily enough epitomises the wonderful childhood I had and the eye opening things that I was allowed to see and do and form opinions on and share my thoughts. This helped shape my creativity. Now I think of those german expressionist posters with their bold use of black and solid blocks of colour being an influence on my style.

I remember after the movie eating dinner and discussing the film with my family and our friends family whose children saw the film too around the kitchen table. We were encouraged to participate in the conversation and even though there were a lot of the adult themes in it that I didnt understand at the time there was also a lot that I could relate to.

It awoke my passion for singing I still think Liza is one of the best female singers Ive ever heard.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here are some links to get you in the cabaret/burlesque mood. Also links to the fonts I used.

My favourite scenes from Cabaret

mein herr
money

Fonts

Liza Minnelli :: ITC bottleneck
Burlesque :: Adam Gorry Lights
Cabaret :: Adam Gorry Inline
Life is a :: Broadway

This challenge has been brought to us by the wonderful Tania please visit her blog to find more bone shakin burlesque inspired artwork


///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////



13 comments:

tanĂ¯a said...

Yessss, you did it, Helen my dear, and oh, how you did it! Liza Minnelli, Cabaret! Classic! Thanks for reminding me again! How could it happen I forgot about the german Mein-Herr-song, although I remember the money-song quite well? I enjoyed the clips again and your artwork fits perfectly! Beautiful! I see that as an official poster or flyer, love the colour-combination and the different fonts, each perfectly chosen!
I'm SO glad your umms and arrrs turned out to a grrreat support! Congrats and many thanks!

♥ w o o l f ♥ said...

interesting, that thought on parents and children in the seventies. i realize these things do have changed. i think parents don't go about the same way with children as in the seventies, myself very much included.

i seem to have somewhat missed liza, or maybe i just didn't get introduced to her properly? maybe i don't take to the genre, at all? gimme HAIR, but perhaps not CABARET. that might explain alot, actually... ;)))

anyway. i don't see no reason for not throwing our legs up high. auch!
n♥

roberto M said...

I agree with you, it was a movie icon.
many of us discover Liza Minnelli, and were surprised and speechless with this phenomenal singer-actress
your "illustration/poster" could not be better, it is really a work of art, which has the same impact that produces in my mind, the memory of the film!

Susan Christensen said...

You have caught the look off the '70's I think, Helen. This was a stretchy challenge for me as well with lots of ummming before a flash of inspiration.
Its true - we were included in the adult conversations back then which wad good.
-sus

celine schroeder said...

I reconized her immediatly! love it! I don't think I know the movie...;/ But you really caught that seventies feeling!!!

Sue Hutchen-Lay said...

Great story and perfect pic. Thanks for reminding me of the wonderful Liza

mano said...

wundervoll! I love 'cabaret', I love liza minelli, I love berlin! I love your post!!
:-) mano

Ariane Reichardt said...

Oh, dear Helen, hello again. Happy to see you here.... very happy. I hope you are fine and life isn't to frosty grey as the weather at your place.
Yes, you captured the mood of the 70th very well! Your illustration and the font... the font!... is fantastic!
I am agraid that Liza M. herself isn't able to tell which is which... so very close is the role to her... but the movie is a classic!

Love even your dancing Audrey!

Love
xo Ariane.

Patrice A. said...

Cabaret!
i loved that movie
and Liza
funny, my inspiration and favorite
for this theme is Chicago
the song All that jazz
which for me says it all
you captured it perfectly
in your drawing!!
the eyes, the hair, ha!

love
Patrice A.
x

barbarabeesblog said...

I think you'd luck with your parents that introduced you to art, film and talking about all that. I wish my parents would have been that way.
Yes and Liza is perfect for that theme, I've a faded memory of that film, time to see it again.
I like your interpretation, it is very strong.
love Barbara
P.S. May I invite you to the next dc, where I am the hostess this time? I would be very happy!

Stefanie Seltner said...

Liza Minelli unforgettable!
Maybe you would like to take part in the next d.c.? I am the host.
Hope you´re fine, x Stefanie

renilde said...

that's Liza allright dear Helen, great in b/w with very red lips and a perfect curl, a poster that's says what you write, it made impact.

thanks for your sweet comment, hope today the sun is out in Melbourne.

ah yes i wondered, that passion for singing ,does that mean you sing yourself too?
xx

Patrice A. said...

helen!

will you join the dc again?
i am the host
and the theme is up

x